St. Luke’s is a vibrant, “all age” outgoing community that is passionate about engaging with the wider community. We believe that personal (and group faith) development and outreach activities are the two sides of the one coin that is the Church of today. Worship is welcoming and reflects our missional mindset and is varied in its style to appeal to both young families and the more mature in age. Our outreach activities include helping newly arrived immigrants settle into the Geelong area; a well attended Mens’ Shed, open to all; and an active environmental group that reflects our concern for the health of our planet. Please take the time to explore our website and get to know us better.
Our mission is to grow Christians.
Our Motivating Vision is:
To continue our journey as a “purpose driven church” with special emphases on:
- Attracting people to Christ by all means of communication, especially by the visible impact and presence of Christ in our own lives.
- Ensuring our worship is relevant and meaningful for both new and journeying Christians
- Enabling our congregation to achieve a deeper faith through a coherent Christian learning process.
- Demonstrating God’s love and grace, through a balance of witness and caring for others, at both a local and global level.
- Utilizing our physical,human and financial resources to facilitate the most positive possible outcomes in each of the above .
Our Core Values
As members of St. Luke’s congregation we are identified by the following predictable behaviour patterns. We will hold each other accountable to them, in love.
- As Christians our worship is a lifestyle, 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week that reflects our loyalty to Christ. We walk the talk and have a priority to mission activity.
- We are a consistently warm and welcoming community embracing diversity.
- We are respectful and sensitive to all whom we encounter.
- We support each other through our joys and sorrows, in prayer and by practical means.
- We encourage each other to go deeper with our faith journey, for example, by small group studies and by supporting peoples’ passions for mission.
- We recognize and encourage the use of our God given gifts within both our congregation and the wider community.
- We encourage each other to be actively open to new insights, thoughtfully accepting that others may have diverse views.
- Our behaviour reflects that we affirm each other, rather than ‘put down’ or ‘demean’.
- We are determined that this will be a safe place. Bullying and harassment, which includes verbal intimidation, will not be tolerated. We practice self control.
- We will positively manage issues around judgementalism, retaliation, unhealthy ambition, abuse of power, anger and any other significant matters of difference and conflict within our congregation.
- We acknowledge our failures when things don’t work out as planned or ‘match up’ to our core values. We respond positively by reviewing and taking corrective action. We learn from our failures and move forward.
- We are responsible stewards of our physical and financial assets.
Our Bedrock Convictions
i.e. what it is that we hang on to during a crisis
1. The Centrality of Christ.
- Christ gives meaning and purpose to our lives
- Through Christ we know:
- God’s love
- His forgiveness
- New beginnings
- Healing and affirmation
- Nothing can separate us from God’s love
- Assurance of eternal life
2. The Body of Christ
- We can reach out for support, in the certain knowledge that assistance from St Luke’s members is available in prayer support and in practical ways.
- The comfort of a ‘safe haven’ in the presence of fellow believers, with the reinforcing assurance of joining others in worship.
3. Other Personal Faith ‘pillars’
- The certainty that ‘God is’.
- Daily spiritual disciplines.
- Personal prayer
- Certain Bible passages or Hymns.
- Symbols that remind us of God’s presence and love.
- Images: mental, physical, experiences, stories.